Disabled Accomplishments

Disabled Accomplishments
with Jo-Blogs

12 August 2009

Lost Dog Saves Down Syndrome Boy



This story was found at http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=848733 – It tells the story of a lost dog, who saved 21 year old Christian Segovia’s life, he has Downs Syndrome and was having a seizure. Christian’s neurologist said that if it hadn’t been for the dog, he would’ve died from choking on his own blood.

The lost honey-coloured terrier they named RaeLea, who was found by a neighbour and given to the Segovia family, who live in Port Tampa in Florida, until they could find the owner. After printing off thousands of flyers and posting them up around the area, stating that RaeLea had been found, nobody called to collect him.

Four days later, Christian’s mother Yolanda, was outside watering plants when RaeLea came running to the door barking and yelping, Yolanda rushed inside and followed the dog, who went running into Christian’s bedroom, she found him on the floor in the middle of a fit, bleeding from his nose and mouth. She then nurtured her son, once realizing what had just happened, she decided to keep RaeLea.

The very next day, the owner of RaeLea (who’s real name was Odie) called. He arrived to collect his dog, Odie ran to the man as soon as they saw each other. After hearing what had happened, and seeing that Christian and his brother were sad to see Odie leave, the man said that Odie was probably meant to find Christian and they could keep him.

This is such a beautiful story. I have always believed that animals have a special sense when it comes to people with disabilities. I know I always pay attention to my dogs; I have brittle bones (which means my bones break very easily), one day I was standing on my wheelchair hanging out the washing, (which is not the smartest thing to do), when my little Mini Foxy X – Abbey, came running up to me, jumping and pawing at my chair, I think she was trying to tell me to get down, so I did. Dogs have always been very gentle around me too, I am still wary around big ones but even with friends and family’s dogs, they never seem to jump up on me, it’s as if they know that they’ll hurt me.

To view the original story, click on the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment