Disabled Accomplishments

Disabled Accomplishments
with Jo-Blogs

28 July 2009

A fair go for the disabled


I feel terrible for this blind man who was in the Parramatta Sun newspaper on Wednesday the 15th July 2009. He says he has a range of experience in Office and Call Centre Customer Service positions but because of his blindness, he continues to be knocked back and no one will hire him, despite an offer of government assistance.

I personally know how he feels to be discriminated against because of a disability. I once applied for a job as a receptionist but didn't tell them I was in a wheelchair. I got to the interview stage but when the manager called me for an interview, I inquired if there were stairs as I was in a wheelchair. Before I could explain that I am fully independant and drive ect, he said the job would not be suitable for me. Even though I clearly qualified from my skills.

It's hard to stay positive when there are constantly things that knock you down. People need to be made aware of people with disabilities and their willingness work and to do whatever it takes to be treated like an equal.

To view the story in full, click on the heading - 'A fair go for the disabled'

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jodie - I guess everybody discriminates at some level but, when it comes to work, I believe we should focus on what a person can do before we worry about what they can't (glass half-full?). What did you think about this bit: employees with a disability had four times fewer workers' compensation claims, six times fewer occupational health and safety incidents and two-thirds fewer sick days than the general population - is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, thanks for the feedback. Haha yes, I thought that was quite a funny assumption... I think disabled people are just like anyone else, as I'm sure you do too. We still get cold's and flu's, just because we are disabled, we are meant to be super human now?! Still, employers should hire disabled people to do a good job, not because they will be better than an able bodied person. We derserve the right to work just as much as anyone else.

    ReplyDelete